The most important thing for you just after having your baby is rest. Giving birth can be exhausting and rest will help you to recover. But there are some gentle exercises that can actually help you recover as well.
Gentle lower belly exercises and pelvic floor exercises are all it takes to help your body to recover at this stage. You can do these even if you are following postnatal confinement.
Although exercise may feel like the last thing you want to do while adjusting to life as a mum, it does have benefits. It can:
- Boost your mood by increasing the levels of feel-good chemicals in your brain (such as endorphins).
- Help you to lose weight and regain your pre-baby figure, if you eat sensibly.
- Protect you from aches and pains.
- Give you more energy, if you are feeling tired.
- Improve your blood circulation.
- Improve your strength and stamina, which will make looking after your newborn easier.